Hand sanitizers have reportedly been responsible for burnt cars if left in hot cars
Following a series of viral social media posts of claiming that hand sanitizers were responsible for burnt cars, UK’s National Health Service(NHS) has issued a warning to its citizens from leaving them in hot cars as they could easily catch fire.
The reports come after similar incidents were recorded in the UK this summer. The warm weather can cause the alcohol in the hand sanitiser to evaporate, with flammable vapours being released.
The vapour can then ignite and cause dangerous fires inside cars. Pressure can also build up inside the bottle, forcing them to rupture and explode.
In another incident in the USA, the fire Illinois fire department warned drivers not to keep hand sanitizer in their parked cars amid the coronavirus. Authorities said a bottle with high alcohol content helped spark a fire. The department posted photos to Facebook showing the melted dashboard and black soot covering the windshield.